Monday, May 9, 2011

Mini Weekend

This past weekend was finally the Indy Mini Marathon. Friday morning Megs and I went over to the Expo to pick-up our race packets. Later that day I met my parents at our hotel, the JW Marriott, to check in. Then we headed over to the Expo to pick up my dad's race packet and bought some goodies. We had dinner at High Velocity, in the JW, and Kyle & Ryan were able to meet me and my parents. Ryan had been gone all week for work in New Hampshire. Our dinner was just okay...We all went to bed early and were excited for race morning!
We woke up about 5:30 am Saturday morning and did what we needed to do before the race started. Luckily our hotel was right at the start line, so we didn't have to walk far, and we could wait in the warm hotel lobby for a little while. We all started in different corrals, but Ryan and I were together in corral K. It took us over 11 minutes to actually get to the start line, but then we were off!
My goal was to finish in 2 hours and 20 minutes, and at the same time thinking I would be really disappointed if I ran 2 hours and 30 minutes. I hadn't done to many long runs before the race, so I wasn't quite sure where exactly I would finish. Ryan and I ran the entire race together, except for my bathroom break at mile 2, but by the end of mile 4 I had caught back up with him. Running together gave both of us just the motivation we needed at different times during the race. I think Ryan struggled the most in the beginning and was doubting himself, and telling me to slow down. My miles 9 through 11 (right when we exited the track) were the toughest. We ended up finishing together in 2 hours and 16 minutes! We were both really happy with our results, and felt so accomplished. I couldn't believe how well Ryan ran, especially because the only training he did was an 8 mile run with me a couple months ago. Although I'm not sure why I would ever question his ability, because he seems to be good at every sport he tries!
After the race we met my family, the Pearls, and the Cates at the spot we had planned. It started raining, so we all Slowly hobbled back to our hotel to shower up. Afterwards we drove up to Champps for some lunch and celebratory beers : )
Once the rain cleared, it turned out to be such a nice day. Dusty Beane was in town so he came by, and we sat out back at our house and had a few more beers. Ryan May(who also ran the mini), Tiff, Taylor, and Lauren joined us out back also. Once everyone left Ryan went to Arni's for pizza and salads. By the time we got home it was around 10:00 pm, and we were more than ready for bed. We slept for over 12 hours!
Sunday was also such a beautiful day. Ryan and I went to breakfast at A2Z Cafe (it was just okay), then I ran errands and Ryan did a lot of yard work. It was nice to have Sunday to just hang out and get things done around the house. I hope everyone had a great Mother's Day weekend.
Before the Race


Corrals at the Start

Cates after the Race

We Finished!

I'm so excited that this is a short work week for me. Early Thursday morning my Mom, Taylor, & I leave for California to spend a long weekend with my Nana. After running last Saturday, our spa day Thursday is going to be even that much better!

1 comment: