Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Stuffed Peppers


Last night I made stuffed peppers for the first time. I couldn't find a recipe that I loved, so I took ingredients and techniques from many recipes; I love doing this. I am trying to pay more attention to the ingredient amounts so I can better explain how I made the meal. The stuffed peppers were a hit, both Ryan & I really liked them.

Ingredients:

4 peppers (any color -- I used orange)
16 oz. ground sweet Italian sausage (you could use any ground meat you like)
1 small yellow onion diced
2 cloves garlic diced
1 package of portabello mushrooms sliced (I chopped these a little smaller too)
1 package of Uncle Ben's 90 second whole grain medley rice
1 15 oz. can of tomato sauce
1 tbsp. worcestershire sauce
parmesean cheese
olive oil
salt & pepper

Preheat your over to 375 degrees. Remove the top of each pepper and scrape out seeds and membranes. Wrap each pepper in foil and place in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes.

Heat a skillet with olive oil and brown up ground sausage, onion, garlic, and mushrooms and worcestershire sauce. Cook 90 second rice, then add to skillet, along with tomato sauce. Season with salt & pepper.

Remove peppers from the oven. Fill peppers with above mixture, and top with a sprinkle of parmesean cheese. Bake at 375 degrees for another 25 minutes.

I served mine with mashed potatoes, but just a warning these are very filling. I could not even finish one! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment