Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Pesto Veggie Sandwich


Ingredients: 

1 Eggplant
1 Red Bell Pepper
9 Grain Bread (or any kind you like)
Goat Cheese
Store Bought Pesto
Red Onion
Balsamic Cream
Olive Oil
Salt & Pepper

First I sliced an eggplant about 1/2 an inch thick and drizzled lightly with olive oil and S&P. Then I placed the slices on a baking sheet lined with foil. I also cut a red pepper in half, removed the seeds and stem, and placed on the baking sheet skin side up. 

Next I put them under the broiler for 4 minutes, flipped the eggplant slices and broiled for another 4 minutes. I kept the red pepper just how it was skin side up. After 4 minutes on each side I removed the eggplant but kept the red pepper in for another 8 minutes or so. As soon as the red pepper was done I put it in a zip lock baggy for about 15 minutes. I then took out the red pepper and the skin peeled right off so I could cut it in thick slices.

I sliced a loaf of 9 grain bread in about 1/2 inch slices or larger and put those slices under the broiler for 2 minutes. Once they came out I put big crumbles of goat cheese on one piece of bread, right away so it would melt. Next I layered on a few slices of eggplant and red pepper. I put on a few finely chopped red onion for some crunch followed by a drizzle of balsamic cream. (This comes in a squirt bottle, if you can't find it you could always skip this or make a balsamic reduction ahead of time and let cool and thicken. I have this one, and it lasts forever:http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/9693938/?catalogId=44&bnrid=3120901&cm_ven=Google_PLA&cm_cat=Food&cm_pla=Oils%2C_Vinegars_&_Condiments&cm_ite=Balsamic_Glaze_%7C_Williams-Sonoma&srccode=cii_17588969&cpncode=30-153200869-2
On the top piece of bread I put a layer of store bought pesto. You could also try with hummus if you don't want to do pesto.

This sandwich was really good! I also made kale chips to go with (just take small pieces of kale, lightly toss in olive oil, balsamic vinegar, S&P and bake for 20 minutes at 300, flip after 10 minutes)

ENJOY!!



No comments:

Post a Comment