Monday, August 1, 2011

San Antonio


A few weekends ago work to me to San Antonio, Texas. I had never been before and was excited to explore in what little free time I had. I arrived Friday night but had a meeting and didn’t get out. I was up early and working Saturday, as this was a big show and very long. 
Alamodome
I got back to the hotel around 11 pm and set up for a pizza and beer party and finally went to bed after 2 am. Sunday morning I was up early again to set up for a meeting, however when it was finished I headed over to River Walk. My first stop was Starbucks for an ice tea, which was much needed because even early, it was already boiling hot. I walked along the river, but since it was Sunday not too much opened until noon. I saw a crowd of people standing in line at a Mexican Restaurant, and it was 10:50 am, so I thought I would do the same in the hopes of getting a table right at 11 am. I got right in, and sat outside next to the river, and ordered a margarita. It was so relaxing and great people watching, the food on the other hand was just average.

Mexican Restaurant

Outdoor dining all along the River Walk

My Lunch : )
Next I decided to walk over to the Alamo. I wasn’t sure what it was all about but there was a huge crowd around it. They were waiting to get in, but the line was so long I decided to take a few pictures and move on. At least I can say I have been there now. 
Me in front of the Alamo
I went through a bunch of little shops,  but mostly around River Walk they are all souvenir shops with a Texas, cowboy flair. I bought Ryan some cigars that were rolled there in San Antonio. Then I headed to the indoor shops at the mall. It was nice to be in the air conditioning, but wow was in crowded! The shopping was pretty awful actually, with the best store being a below average Macy’s. 
Mall
As I was leaving I found a nail salon, and stopped for a much needed manicure. I decided to go back into the heat and walk around when I came to an Irish Bar called Durty Nellys. They had dueling pianos, and everyone inside was having the best time singing along. When I walked in someone bought me a beer right away and I made a few friends and bought Ryan a shirt.

River Walk

Water Taxi
It was about time for me to head back to catch a cab to the airport. San Antonio was pretty fun, but way too hot in July! River Walk would be an absolute blast at night with friends, because there are just rows and rows of bars and clubs. When I got to the airport I found out my flight was being delayed because a crew member was late. Once arriving in Houston I would miss my connection home. I was pretty frustrated, because I really couldn’t wait to be home. My Uncle Jeff, however, lives in Houston, and when I called he came to the airport and picked me up to stay the night with him and Diana. We had a great time catching up Sunday night in their beautiful home. Monday morning Dianna took me to the airport, and I finally made it to Indy later that afternoon. 
Texas : )

No comments:

Post a Comment