Monday, January 10, 2011

Healthy Dinner Ideas

It's the first of the year and everyone is making New Year's Resolutions. Ryan and I decided we needed to start off the new year by eating healthier. So far, so good. I wanted to share some dinner ideas that I have come up with that have been pretty good. However, you are going to have to bare with me...I never measure anything, but I'll try to explain these "recipes" the best I can. Here's the first one. It is really easy and quick. Let me know if you try it out, and what you think, and if you make any changes...how it turns out.


Baked Chicken & Veggies with Sauteed Spinach & Mushrooms:

Boneless chicken breasts (one per person)
Baby Carrots - 2 cups
Yukon Gold Potatoes quartered (6 - 10 depending on how many you are feeding)
Fresh Spinach - 5 cups
Sliced Portobello Mushrooms
1 Diced Onion
3 Minced Garlic Cloves
Olive Oil
Good Balsamic Vinegar - 2 tablespoons
Salt & Pepper
Low Sodium Chicken Broth - 1/4 cup
In a glass baking dish add chicken breasts. Then add baby carrots, half the onion, and the Yukon Gold potatoes around the chicken. Season everything with salt & pepper then drizzle with olive oil. Add a small amount of low sodium chicken broth, just to add some moisture. Cover with foil, and cook at 375 degrees for about an hour. (You can remove the foil towards the end of cooking time to let everything brown up a little, but make sure you do not let the chicken dry out).
In a pan saute the other half of the onion, mushrooms, and garlic until they begin to brown. Then add the fresh spinach and the balsamic vinegar until the spinach wilts down. Season with salt and pepper. ENJOY!
**You can cook a few extra chicken breasts to put over salad the next day or to cut up and put in a stir-fry or soup.





ENJOY!

1 comment:

  1. OMG this cracks me up! .. As the sous-chef I highly suggest this meal it is very delicouse, healthy, and great for next day meals!

    -Bon appetit

    ReplyDelete